bills itself as the world's greatest dog show, and they may well
It is by far
the largest - and arguably the most watched in Britain, joined
by enthusiastic "dog people" in 31 other countries
-- from which favorite dogs compete for the title of Crufts top
dog each year.
This year, the ultimate prize - Best in Show - was awarded on Sunday, March 8, 2020 airing live at 8:30PM on Crufts' traditional TV home on Channel 4.
In addition to event coverage on Channel 4 and More4, viewers all over the world also followed all the action via the Crufts YouTube channel live stream.
Crufts Dog Show 2020
Maisie, the wire haired Dachsund,
2020 Crufts Best in Show.
2020 marks 129 years of Crufts - "the best dog show on earth!"
This year, Crufts was held from Thursday, March 5 to Sunday, March 8, 2020 at the Birmingham National Exhibition Centre, featuring 180 different breeds which will compete in categories such as Best of Breed and Best of Group (Toys, Gundogs, Utility, Hounds, Working, Pastoral, and Terriers).
Tickets for the annual show - always a sell out - usually go on sale in October of the preceding year with show opening times scheduled from 8:15AM to 6:30PM daily.
Advance tickets to the Crufts show traditionally cost £15 for adults and £11 for children and seniors on Thursday and Friday. Prices are slightly higher as the competition heats up on Saturday and Sunday. Without advance tickets, expect to pay higher prices at the door.
Getting to the NEC show (situated 8 miles outside of Birmingham) by car begins with any of the major road networks in either direction via the M1, M5, M6, M6 Toll, M40 and M42 motorways.
For the rest of us couch potatoes, TV coverage in the UK traditionally belongs to digital channel More4 featuring extended coverage of two hours each night from 7-9pm throughout the event, with Channel 4 broadcasting the Best in Show finale on Sunday. Those outside the UK can still catch all the cute canine action via video clips and live streaming of several events online on the Crufts YouTube channel.
DID YOU KNOW? Crufts Dog Show trivia & fun facts
Streaker? What streaker?
• In 2010, the judging of the Gundog Group was interrupted by a streaker, but a Hungarian Vizla named Yogi, who was being shown at the time, didn't raise an eyebrow and calmly waited for security to escort the streaker away. Yogi went on to win Best in Show.
• Wondering what dog breed will win Best in Show? Place your bets on the Cocker Spaniel which, historically, is the most likely breed to take the title (1930, 1931, 1938, 1939, 1948, 1996, and 2017).
• The British royal family have always been fans. Queen Victoria’s collie Darnley II and a pair of her Pomeranians were entered and won prizes at the show over the years. The current royal patron of the Kennel Club, Queen Elizabeth II, became the first reigning monarch to vist the Crufts show in 1969.
• Charles Cruft was a dog biscuit salesman before he founded the dog show named for him in 1891.
On the Web,
check out pictures and video clips along with additional history,
trivia, and hoopla surrounding the annual Crufts Dog Show...
Crufts 2020 - The official site featuring the complete schedule,
information on ordering tickets by phone, a list of awards up for contention, plus
a great selection of pictures, video clips, radio interviews,
podcasts and updates.
Crufts 2020 - The NEC, Birmingham - Check out the official venue offering online ticket purchase and the dates and times in a complete schedule plus contact information and related resources.
- A good overview from Wikipedia with a brief bio of founder Charles
Cruft, related dog show history, competition highlights, links,
resources and more about Scruffts,
the Kennel Club competition for household mutts...