It's a $1
million grand prize for the winning driver in a "Dash for the Cash" at the Sprint All Star Race.
This year, the prime time Saturday night race -- variously known as The Winston Cup and (up until 2007) the Nextel All Star Challenge -- airs on Saturday, May 20, 2017 from the Charlotte Motor Speedway.
drivers will vie for the top prize airing on cable channel FOX Sports 1 live beginning under the lights with coverage beginning at 6:00 PM ET from Concord, North Carolina.
As a made-for-TV
spectacle, drivers have no worries about accumulating points in the Cup Chase. So the huge jackpot remains major "motor-vation" for previous season and current season winners to put on a good show for the Saturday night spectacle in prime time.
Eligibility for the Sprint All Star Race:
Drivers and car owners who have won races in the current and preceding
year. If a driver leaves a team with which he has won a race, he remains eligible
Drivers who are past Cup champions in the last 10 years
Drivers who have won The All-Star Race in the past 10 years
The winning driver of the Sprint Open
Drivers who have won in previous years, not eligible by other criteria
DID YOU KNOW? All Star Race fun facts
"The Pass in the Grass", 1987
• One of the most memorable All Star showdowns occurred in 1987 when Dale Earnhardt slid across driver Bill Elliot and on to the grass. Against the odds, Earnhardt maintained control, moved back on the track to pass Elliott, and won the race! The result of Earnhardt's quick thinking would forever after be known as "The Pass in the Grass."
• With a total of four victories, NASCAR superstar Jimmie Johnson maintains the lead with the most All Star race wins ever.
• Dale Earnhardt Jr. is the only driver ever to win the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race (2000, in his rookie year), Sprint Showdown (2012) and Sprint Fan Vote (2011).
• No driver has ever won the Sprint Showdown and advanced to win the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race in the same year.
• Chevrolet boasts the most wins at the All-Star Race with 17 - compared to 10 for Ford, two for Dodge and one for Pontiac.
More about the All Star Race around the Web:
Around the Web, catch more All Star action at top sites featuring the complete schedule, past winners & highlights plus current news & rumors.
Sprint All Star Race - Wikipedia guide with a complete history of the race dating back to 1998, race formats and qualifications, winners list, related trivia & fun facts.