Chicago Triathlon is one of the most well known and well attended
triathlons on the planet.
Every year in late August, athletes from all over the world converge
on downtown Chicago
to swim, bike, and run in a fierce competition of Olympic proportions.
In fact, the Chicago Triathlon holds
the Guinness record as the world's largest international distance
Triathlon boasts over 11,000 attendees, more than a quarter
of a million spectators, and countless more through media
outlets that cover the event.
Chicago Triathlon 2019
Watch for this year's 37th annual Chicago Triathlon to kick off on Sunday, August
25, 2019 beginning at 6AM at Chicago's Downtown Lakefront, lasting until about 3PM.
And there's more. Leading up to the main event are two competitions held the day before - including
a beginners triathlon beginning at 7:30AM on Saturday, August 24, 2019 at Chicago's Foster Avenue Beach - followed by a kids' triathlon.
But the main event on Sunday draws the biggest crowds, beginning with the swim in
Monroe Street Harbor. The swim portion is either 1.5 kilometers
or .75 kilometers, depending on whether competitors are participating
in the International distance or the Sprint distance.
After the swimming portion of the race comes the bike race. Competitors
bike for either 40 kilometers or 22 kilometers, depending on what
version of the race they are participating in.
Finally, the run portion is either 10 kilometers for the international
distance competitors or else 5 kilometers for the Sprint distance
competitors. Both distances end at the same finish line, at Hutchinson
Field in Grant Park.
The Chicago Triathlon is also always looking for volunteers, which
is another great way to get out and support a truly fantastic event.
DID YOU KNOW? Chicago Triathlon fun facts & trivia
Keep swimming, keep swimming
(and biking, and running ....)
• The first Chicago Triathlon kicked off on August 7, 1983, and had 760 participants.
• A triathlon in a major metro area proved so popular that Bud Light decided to sponsor the event the following year when participation almost doubled.
• In 2007, the Chicago Triathlon was ranked as the “World’s Largest Triathlon” with over 8,000 participants.
• The record for most number of participants was set in 2009 when entries for the Chicago Triathlon topped 9,200 triathletes.
• While the Windy City course is fairly straightforward, winds off Lake Michigan actually make the Chicago Triathlon one of the world's most challenging and unpredictable.
the Chicago Triathlon around the Web:
- Check out the official site with info on this year's race, entry & registration
details, parking and transportation, Chicago travel info and accommodations,
Triathlon weekend events, and complete results.
35 Years of the Chicago Triathlon - Find out more about it's hair-raising start in 1983 and more interesting fun facts and trivia about Chicago Triathlon history, from Chicago Athlete Magazine.