Wine has been
written about or argued over since it was first invented - somewhere
between the beginning of time and the Book of Genesis.
The ancients who invented wine thought it was the inspiration for all good thought and a healthy driver of passion. "No poem was ever written by a drinker of water", the ancient Greek philosopher Homer once rightly said.
With that in mind, here's our Top 20 countdown of wine quotes through the ages.
Top 20 Wine Quotes
20. "Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more." ― Proverbs 31:7
19. "I have enjoyed great health at a great age because everyday since I can remember, I have consumed a bottle of wine except when I have not felt well. Then I have consumed two bottles." --- Bishop of Seville
’Tis pity wine should be so deleterious,
For tea and coffee leave us much more serious.”
― Lord Byron
18. "I am certain that the good Lord never intended grapes to be made into grape jelly." ― Fiorello La Guardia
17. "If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?"― Cardinal Richeleu
16. "Either give me more wine or leave me alone." ― Rumi
15. “’Tis pity wine should be so deleterious,
For tea and coffee leave us much more serious.”― Lord Byron
14. "The great evil of wine is that it first seizes the feet. It is a crafty wrestler." ― Titus Maccius
13. “When you ask one friend to dine,
Give him you best wine!
When you ask two,
The second best will do!”― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
"I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food."
― W.C. Fields
12. "Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy."― Benjamin Franklin
11. “I should say upfront that I have never been in a cellar in my life. In fact, I can see no reason why anyone should ever go into a cellar unless there is wine involved.”― Rachel Hawkins
10. "I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food." ― W.C. Fields
9. “A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money. Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine, something Brussels sprouts never do.”― P. J. O'Rourke
8. “WINE! Because problems aren’t going to forget themselves.” ― Tanya Masse
7. "I drink it when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes, I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and drink it if I am; Otherwise I never touch it - unless I'm thirsty." – Madame Bollinger
"A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
Plus, if you let
it turns into wine, something
Brussels sprouts never do." ― P. J. O'Rourke
6. “Men are like a fine wine. They all start out like grapes, and it’s our job to stomp on them and keep them in the dark until they mature into something you’d like to have dinner with.” – Jill Shalvis
5. "Too much of anything is bad, but too much Champagne is just right.” – Mark Twain
4. “My only regret in life is that I did not drink more wine.” – Ernest Hemingway
3. "If the aunt of the vicar has never touched liquor, watch out when she finds the champagne." – Rudyard Kipling,
2. “In victory, you deserve Champagne; in defeat, you need it.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
1. “Remember, gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill
"If the aunt of the vicar has never touched liquor,