Watch for this year's 41st annual Chicago Triathlon to kick off on Sunday, August
27, 2023 beginning at 6AM at Chicago's Downtown Lakefront, lasting until about 3PM.
Leading up to the main event are two competitions held the day before - including
a beginners triathlon at 7:30AM on Saturday, August 26, 2023 at Chicago's Foster Avenue Beach followed by a kids' triathlon!
Of course, the main event on Sunday draws the biggest crowds, beginning with the swim in
Monroe Street Harbor. The swim portion remains either 1.5 kilometers
or .75 kilometers, depending on whether competitors are participating
in the International distance or the Sprint distance.
After the swimming portion comes ...the bike race. Competitors
bike for either 40 kilometers or 22 kilometers, depending on what
version of the race they are participating in.
Finally, the run portion is either 10 kilometers for international
distance competitors or 5 kilometers for the Sprint competitors. Both distances end at the same finish line at Hutchinson
Field in Grant Park.
All about the Chicago Triathlon
Chicago Triathlon is one of the planet's most well known and well attended
Every year in late August, athletes from all over the world converge
on downtown Chicago to swim, bike, and run in a fierce competition of Olympic proportions. In fact, the Chicago Triathlon holds
the Guinness record as the world's largest international distance
Triathlon also boasts more than a quarter
of a million spectators, NOTE: The Chicago Triathlon is also always looking for volunteers, which
is another great way to get out and support a truly fantastic event.
• The first Chicago Triathlon kicked off on August 7, 1983, and had 760 participants.
• A triathlon in a major metro area proved so popular that Bud Light decided to sponsor the event the following year when participation almost doubled.
• In 2007, the Chicago Triathlon was ranked as the “World’s Largest Triathlon” with over 8,000 participants.
• The record for most number of participants was set in 2009 when entries for the Chicago Triathlon topped 9,200 triathletes.
• While the Windy City course is fairly straightforward, winds off Lake Michigan make the Chicago Triathlon one of the world's most challenging and unpredictable!
the Chicago Triathlon around the Web:
2023 Chicago Triathlon
- Check out the official site with info on this year's race, entry & registration
details, parking and transportation, Chicago travel info and hotel stays, Triathlon weekend events, and complete results, or get interactive at the Chicago Triathlon Facebook page.
35 Years of the Chicago Triathlon - Find out more about the Triathlons hair-raising start in 1983, and more interesting Chicago Triathlon history from Chicago Athlete Magazine.