Greater Gulf State Fair
Greater Gulf State Fair
Where: Mobile, Alabama Fairgrounds
When: Friday, October 27 - Sunday, November 5, 2023. 4PM to 10PM weekdays, 11AM to 11PM Sat., 12PM to 10PM Sun.
Directions to Fairgrounds: From I-65 North/South Exit 5A, Springhill Ave
W, proceed 5.3 miles on Springhill Ave. Fairgrounds are on the right.
From I-10 East/West Exit 13, Theodore-Dawes Rd, follow signs to mobile Airport. Theodore-Dawes Rd becomes
Schillinger Rd. Proceed to Zeiglar Blvd, turn right and proceed 1 mile to the
Fairgrounds on the left.
Watch for this year's Greater Gulf State Fair to kick off on Friday, October 27 and run through to Sunday, November 5, 2023 -- for a fun-filled week of fried food, farm animals, and country music entertainment.
All about the Greater Gulf State Fair
While most state fairs date back a century or more, the first Alabama fair was organized in the 1950's.
But the Greater Gulf State Fair's relatively young age means it has successfully learned from "old time" state fairs how to do the experience of "fun, food and family".
Like any good state fair, one of the main focuses is on animals and livestock. The Greater Gulf State Fair features shows, agriculture and livestock competitions, as well as animal performances in rodeos and other similar events.
Another other great attraction about the Greater Gulf State Fair? The food!
Fair goers can always count on being treated to jambalaya, po boys, boudin, and shrimp bayou, as well as classic state fair foods like chili dogs, BBQ, funnel cakes and corn on the cob.
2023 Greater Gulf State Fair concert lineup
The Greater Gulf State Fair tries to put the spotlight on the talent of local entertainers.
Laurie Anne Nix and Modern Eldorados
headline at this year's Greater Gulf State Fair.
Although there have been big name country bands (like The Marshall Tucker Band in 2019) that have wowed the crowds from year to year, the surprise at the Greater Gulf State Fair is the quality of performances by local Mobile musicians.
So, while there may be a few national acts in the concert lineup, the vast majority of the musical entertainment is from the surrounding area.
Tickets for the Greater Gulf State Fair are $10 for general admission, and $5 for children.
Special prices for Friday Midnight Madness entry have been replaced by unlimited ride passes at $25, and are available every night.
Meanwhile, more attractions available include the thrills and chills of amusement park rides in the Midway, which stays open until 2AM on Fridays during the fair's traditional 10-day run.
Friday, October 27 at 6 PM
The Tip Tops
Sunday, October 29 at 6 PM
Laurie Anne Nix
Thursday, November 2 at 6 PM
Friday, November 3 at 7 PM
Saturday, November 4 at 6 PM
Sunday, November 5 at 2:30 PM
Blow House Brass Band
Sunday, November 5 at 6 PM
DID YOU KNOW? Greater Gulf State Fair fun facts
1955: In person!
• In 1955, the very first Greater Gulf State Fair featured juggling acts along with music groups and singers including a young kid named Elvis Presley. Following his performance, the newcomer tried to arrange a four-year contract with the fair for a whopping $1,600. "Too expensive", said organizers. And they never signed him.
• In the early days, the fair was most famous for cheesy side shows and risque burlesque performances where local boys got their first glimpse of scantily clad ladies!
• Today, it's all family-friendly fun at the Great Gulf State Fair where, in addition to Midway thrill rides for adults, Family Land sizes it down with kiddie rides, games, and Noah's Way Exotic Petting Zoo.
• Come for the attractions, stay for the food! Top favorites include chicken-on-a-stick and funnel cakes at The Chomping Grounds, one of the fair's most popular gathering places with more than 30,000 square feet of seated dining space.
More about the Greater Gulf State Fair around the Web:
Gulf State Fair - The official site with information on
admission and ticket prices, favorite food concessions, concert lineup, directions,
- MobileFair's Channel - The official channel featuring
a growing number of promotional and informational videos.