or wherever the culture is celebrated families,
friends and neighbors gather on the 5th of May to celebrate Cinco de Mayo!
Since Cinco de Mayo falls on a Thursday in 2016, watch for this year's festivities to begin an early weekend of Mexican food, drink, and music.
Fiesta! - Mexican Theme Party Tips
Invitation ideas - Invite everyone to the party with a cover page greeting with catchy headlines like: "No time for a Siesta, it's time to Fiesta!",, or "It's Party Time, Amigos!" Inside, be sure to put the date, location, time, phone, RSVP date, dress code or
Cinco de Mayo party decoration ideas - To kick off your own Mexican theme party, begin by decorating
with plenty of traditional tissue paper flowers. Add the colors of the flag of Mexico - green white and red - put on some Mexican music, salsa, mariachi or folk music, and have a fiesta!
Party Favor Ideas - Send guests home happy with goody bags filled with mini cactus plants, toy maracas, small clay pots with candy "Red Hots", bouquets of red, green & white carnations or other plants that combine the colors of the Mexican flag.
How to make a homemade piñata
Of course, what would a Mexican theme party be without .... a pinata!
• Large, sturdy paper shopping bag
• Paint, construction paper, or markers for decorating
• Wrapped candy
• Adhesive tape or stapler
• A big stick
1. Decorate the shopping bag as you please using paint, color markers or construction paper. Crinkle the newspaper and lightly fill the shopping bag.
2. Next, add the wrapped candy or other treats and seal the shopping bag closed with tape or staples. Hang your piñata high enough that it is just out of reach.
3. Line up your guests and blindfold them one at a time, giving them the stick to aim at the piñata. As each participant takes a whack, warn other players to STAND CLEAR OF THE STICK!!
More Cinco de Mayo party games & activities
Pass the Sombrero
A bit like ‘musical chairs’ but instead party guests have to try on a
sombrero. Play Mexican mariachi music as the game begins and
when the music stops the guest wearing the sombrero is out of the
game. For extra laughs, give eliminated players the option to
perform a Mexican hat dance to get back into the game!
Have several bowls of nachos and party dip ready for guests to pair
up into teams. One team-member must stand behind the other, acting
as their ‘arms’, and must feed the nachos to their partner. The first
team to empty their bowl is the winner. Provide bibs and floor
covering and be prepared for a big MESS …and lots of photos afterwards!!
More about Cinco de Mayo and Mexican fiestas around the Web:
Spice it up at some of the best sites offering up everything you need for a great Cinco de Mayo fiesta celebration - including
do it yourself party ideas, music Webcasts, recipes, e-cards, decorations, classroom activities. clip art, pictures, facts,
and a bit of history about the 5th of May...
de Mayo Recipes, Margaritas, Fiesta Tips - Top of
the line celebration party ideas from the Food Network with
Cinco de Mayo facts, star chef recipes from Rachel Ray &
Bobby Flay, plus hot, hot, hot festive meals & how
to's along with cool Mexican cocktail recipes.
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo!
- Browse for how to make your own Cinco de Mayo decorations -- plus menu ideas, food & drink recipes, and party activities to make sure your celebration is a real fiesta.
Cinco de Mayo Recipes - The American hot sauce company, Tabasco, offers a complete party menu & dozens of recipes for making other Mexican favorites including guacamole, quesidillas, Margaritas, Sangria and more...
Inside Mexico - Cinco de Mayo
- Find out what's going on in Mexico with descriptions of traditional fiestas & parades, including related feature stories, recipes for your party, national holiday calendar of events.