Find your Georgia beach - click a location on the map for official web sites and driving directions
St. Simons lighthouse -- on autopilot since 1950.
DID YOU KNOW? Georgia beaches fun facts:
• St. Simons Island, Sea Island, Jekyll Island, Little St. Simons Island, and Historic Brunswick make up the Golden Isles of Georgia.
• Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? No, Jekyll Island was less-interestingly named by British General James Oglethorpe in honor of his friend, Sir Joseph Jekyll, in 1734.
• Although it still retains its historic charm, the St. Simons Island lighthouse saw its last full-time keeper in 1950, when it became fully automated.
• Unlike Florida's reputation for tropical storms, the neighboring coast of Georgia has not experienced a major hurricane since the late 1890s.
• St Marys Rock Shrimp festival, held every year in October, celebrates the special kind of shrimp found in Georgia’s coastal waters. The delicious rock shrimp looks like a tiny lobster and its taste is somewhere between shrimp and lobster.