The very first Texas state fair was held in 1886. Not long after that, the fair became the first, and still the only, state fair with a full blown auto show which continues to be a huge attraction for fair goers.
The original Big Tex was destroyed in a fire in 2012, but
back bigger and better than ever the following year.
There's also Big Tex, a talking fifty-two foot tall cowboy who just happens to be the biggest meet-and-greet host in the business!
And then there's the giant ferris wheel that was (and still remains) the largest of its kind soaring 212 feet tall when it was introduced
Meanwhile, the Texas State Fair also features a wide variety of more traditional state fair attractions including livestock shows, a huge variety of competitions, and always popular carnival rides,
And, wait. There's more! Don't forget the nightly free big name music concerts, and generous helpings of deep fried goodies for visitors who come to the fair each year during its three-week run.
• Comfortable shoes are a must for traversing the countless entertainment and attractions at the Texas State Fair, encompassed by a sole-challenging 277 acres.
• Big Tex made his debut in 1952 and quickly became a major fair landmark. Although Tex went down in a spectacular heap of flames in 2012, the new Big Tex rose from the ashes the following year a full 3 feet taller and 19,000 lbs. heftier!
• In 1961, the fair became famous for 'going all Hollywood' when it served as the major backdrop to the movie musical State Fair starring Pat Boone, Ann-Margret, and Bobby Darin.
• The Big Tex Choice Awards began in 2005 to judge vendors' various assortments of fried foods. That year, the winner was a fried peanut butter, jelly and banana sandwich.
Some of the more popular treats at the Texas State Fair over the years have included
sandwiches and (at right) deep fried Frito pies.
• In fact, the Texas State Fair has branded itself as a place to sample a huge variety of deep-fried foods which began with the original corny dog first introduced at the fair in the 1940's.
• Today, some of the more creative deep fried treats at the Texas State Fair have included deep fried pork ribs, deep fried peanut butter-jelly-and-banana sandwiches, deep fried cheesecake, deep fried peaches & cream, deep fried Jello, and even deep fried Coke!
More about the Texas State Fair around the Web:
2023 State Fair of Texas - Check out the official site with information on admission and ticket prices, concert line up, food concessions, kid-friendly attractions, directions, map, photos.
State Fair of Texas - Here's a Wikipedia overview including photos, historical facts and related resources.