First Day of Spring 2019
Spring fun facts | Favorite spring recipes
goodbye to winter and say hello to spring with temperatures slowly rising to greet the vernal equinox on Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 4:58PM Eastern Time -- kicking off the first official day
planning now for the seasonal thaw with our guide to gardening,
spring holidays, spring redecorating guides, travel information - and more great ideas for shaking off the winter
blues - and celebrating SPRING!...
Did You Know? Spring fun facts
• Yes, spring fever is a real phenomenon. When the outdoor temperature rises, your blood vessels expand. As a result, blood can be carried to the body surface where heat can be lost quickly, giving some people an energetic "spring" in their step.
• Classic songs about spring include "April Showers", "April in Paris", "Spring Is Here"; "Spring Again"; and "It Might As Well Be Spring". Pop songs often associated with spring include "Here Comes the Sun" by the Beatles; "I Can See Clearly Now" by Johnny Nash; and "Walking On Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves.
• It's a myth that you can only balance an egg on its end during the vernal equinox. With a lot of patience you can balance a raw egg on its end at any time of year.
• Severe weather most often occurs during the spring, when warm air begins to move up from the south and cold air pushes down from the polar regions. The volatile combination sets the stage for an final, epic battle between spring and winter resulting in occasional heavy snow or torrential rains. Spring usually wins the battle for supremacy sometime around mid-April.
• Spring officially ends on the 20th or 21st of June making way for a long, lazy summer.